Fashion Tips and Tricks That Will Save You Time and Money
Welcome to Part One of a series of genius fashion tips that are designed to save you both time and money.
● Make the sales assistant your friend! If you’re charming and lovely with sales people, they’ll tell you when things are going on sale, hold things for you, and invite you to special evenings in store for new releases and early sale events.
● Wash new jeans twice before taking them to get hemmed – because jeans always shrink in length when they are washed.
● If you get an oil stain on your favourite handbag, cover the mark with baby powder and let it stand overnight. By morning, the stain should be gone. If a bit still remains, repeat the process until the stain is completely gone.
● The best at-home method to keep diamonds sparkling - liquid dishwasher detergent and an old toothbrush. Soaking your diamonds overnight in gin also works well - just don't drink the gin when your jewellery is clean!
● Cut down your wardrobe by asking yourself this one question: If I were in a shop right now – would I buy this? If the answer is no, donate it to your favourite charity.
● Never put a garment on immediately after ironing, as this can actually cause new wrinkles to form. Instead, let it sit for five minutes to set.
● Shopping for a wedding dress or another big-event outfit? Head to your favourite designer store with makeup on, proper undergarments, and your hair semi-done to get a better sense of how it’ll look.
● A flattering silhouette begins with the right under garments - never underestimate the power of Spanx.
● Pile on the accessories—scarves, sunglasses, hats, statement jewellery—you will instantly transform the most ordinary outfit. Accessorising is what gives your outfit a personal touch.
● If you’re unsure about an impulse or sale purchase, leave it at the shop. If you’re still thinking about it when you wake up the next day, buy it.
● When you are buying a jacket or coat, the one rule you need to follow is – it must fit in the shoulders. If you love the jacket, or it is too good a sale bargain to resist, it is easy to get any other alteration made to it – but the shoulder area is difficult and expensive to alter.